David ‘Ted’ Falder first arrived at Goodison following the recommendation of a member of the Goodison aristocracy, and although he never lived up to the reputation of his illustrious predecessor it spoke much of the abundant potential he held. Stationed with T.G. Jones in the RAF during the Second World War, the Prince of Centre Halves recommended the young novice for Goodison trials. He was a success and aged 23 he signed as a professional a week before Christmas 1945.
Progress was nevertheless slow for the young hopeful and the Everton management toyed several times with the prospect of letting him leave without blooding him in the first team. During the 1949/50 season, however, circumstances demanded drastic action. Everton were leaking goals and slipping towards relegation. Cliff Britton moved desperately to resolve the situation and brought in Jack Hedley in place of George Saunders at left back and Falder, ironically, in place of Jones, whose frosty relations with the manager had become martial.
It proved enough to steady Everton’s faltering season. The club had conceded an average of two goals a game before Christmas, but after Falder’s introduction on 27 December the arrears were halved. He was ever-present for the remainder of the season, playing in the FA Cup run that took Everton to the semi-finals.
EVERTON IN this era were in a truly dismal state and a poor start to the 1950/51 season saw Falder dropped five games in. He played just once more for the club and his successor – T.E. Jones – was unable to halt the slide into the Second Division.
In September 1951 Falder was transfer-listed. Tranmere Rovers tried to buy him in a part-exchange deal for Harold Bell, with Saunders also heading to Prenton Park, but injury waylaid the deal. Further attempts to swap him for Crewe’s Frank Blunstone, a future England winger, came to nothing. In July 1952 he joined Ellesmere Port and, nearing his thirties, never saw league football again.